Monday, July 4, 2011

What is creeking you ask?

Creeking is when you go into a body of water, say a creek or stream or a river for instance, and you explore and find creatures and shells and exoskeletons and slimy things and gross your mother out.
 Really mom, I can go into that nasty water and get as dirty and slimy as I want and you won't even get mad at me?  Score!!
 Creeking girl.
 Sparky must be an expert creeker.  He is able to do his work with his eyes closed.
 Apparently you are supposed to wear tie-dye whilst creeking.  I guess Tiger didn't get the memo.  Also missing in this picture is our friend Nathan. 
 Excellent taunting of the boy on the girls' part.  Here he is asking for the net in a very exasperated tone while the girls say, "What net?  Oh, you mean this net.  Come and get it if you want it."  Actually, I have no idea if that is what is happening here, but that's what it looks like.
 I think Tiger rather likes this creeking business.  He especially liked messing with the creatures that were captured in the bucket.  Fortunately only a few minnows died by his hands, although the jury is still out on a couple of the tadpoles.
 These two girls are just sweet and fun and aren't at all afraid of a little slime.  The best quote of the day was by Ruby, "Mommy, mommy, I found a crayfish exoskeleton".  And she did.  She showed it to us.  I thought it was gross.  The kids all thought it was cool.
 The necessary creeking instruments:  a net and a bucket. 
 This is just one of many tadpoles found, placed in the bucket, and thoroughly examined.  Scientific jargon and explanations were abundant throughout the day.  It made my head hurt.
 At one point, this little man had enough of the water bit and resorted to his favorite past time, throwing rocks into the water.
Look mom, I found a little snail.  I am so proud.

By the end they were all soaked to the bones and forced to ride home sitting on plastic bags so as to prevent my car from becoming totally gross.  All except for the little man, he was stripped to his skivvies.  They were all then rushed home and immediately showered and disinfected.  A successful day of creeking for sure.

3 comments:

Kurt & Shawn said...

What a good mommy. Creeking is the best. I say "score" as well!!!

rachel said...

How is it that I was born and raised in Ohio and have never heard the term "creeking"? I have to laugh because here, if we have a body of water that wide, we call it a river :).

Beth said...

Yes Rachel, we too call that body of water a river. It is in fact the great Olentangy, just very low at the moment.