Sunday, August 23, 2009

The beginning of love: a memory

Today Doug and I are celebrating our 13th anniversary (that is if you can count a good nap and pancakes for dinner as celebrating), but thinking about our years together brought me to this memory. The year is 1995. It is early fall and I have recently returned to BYU after being at home all summer. My friend Marcy and I are sitting around her kitchen table with Doug and his roommate Mike. Both boys had somewhat recently ended their relationships and they were complaining because they had purchased tickets to Les Miserables when they both had girlfriends and now they didn't have anyone to take to the play. Seriously, they were whining and whining about what to do now and who should they take and blah, blah, blah. Marcy and I just looked at each other in total disbelief. Finally Marcy said that we were two available girls and that we would love to go to the play. Marcy told Mike that she would be more than willing to be his date and that she would even pay for her ticket. I also assured Doug that I would be more than willing to be his date seeing as Les Miserable is probably one of my most favorite plays and that I too would be more than willing to pay for my ticket. You see, at this point Doug and I were just friends. We had known each other for a couple of years but we were were still in denial that we were starting to like each other. So, after we made the boys feel downright silly for complaining about their predicament to two very attractive single ladies, we managed to secure ourselves dates to the play. The evening turned out to be a lot of fun and could possibly be considered an informal first date for Doug and I for you see, Marcy had to pay for her ticket but I did not.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Doug is a gentlemen and he was coming in for the kill!! We love him and you're not half bad either.

Jen said...

Congrats on your anniversary! You have such a cute family!

amyhick said...

i can't believe mike made her pay. So mike I guess....:)