Thursday, April 14, 2011

For the love of Crocs

Over Spring Break, we took a little day trip down to see my cousins.  We love to visit the cousins.  We always have a lot of fun just hanging out and playing and the kids have a blast as well.  This trip was no exception and was probably even the highlight of Spring Break.  Well, on our way home after our visit we decided to stop at the outlet mall and check out the Crocs store.  My little Tiger was in need of some new Crocs and I was hoping to find some killer deals.  The deals were not to be had on this particular day, but while we were there I thought that it would be a good idea to try some Crocs on the kids so that I would know what sizes to get them in the future.  As soon as I put a pair onto Tiger's feet he said, "Ok, let's go now."  I then tried to explain to my sweet little man that we weren't actually buying the Crocs, we were just trying them on so that I would know what size he needed.  He looked at me, and then he proceeded to crumple in on himself and cry the saddest, most mournful cry I have ever heard, especially for a pair of shoes.  Doug and I just looked at each other in bewilderment.  It then dawned on me that this little man has had a pair of blue Crocs on his feet basically since he could walk (of course since he is my precious baby and last child I have always splurged for the real Crocs instead of some knock-off like the other kids always got).  He has always loved them and this reaction made me realize that he has been like a sailor without a ship for the last 6 months since he outgrew his last pair.  Putting these new blue Crocs on his feet was a completion of himself and here I was trying to take that away.  Well, he left us no choice.  We had to buy them, even though they weren't on sale (gulp) and even though I know that I could find them cheaper somewhere else.  But I understand that you can't put a price on the completion of oneself, especially one who is 4.  Anyway, he is happy now and has worn them every single day, regardless of the temperature.  Plus, I am sure I have earned some good mom points for this one.

3 comments:

Kurt & Shawn said...

He wears a croc well!

Dehner Family said...

I always think of crocs when I think of Ty. How cute! You did the right thing.

Buffy said...

What a CROC! You Wimp! Just kidding...I'm a sucker for any kids who crumples.