Monday, January 16, 2012

Monday Memories

I have been kicking this idea around for a while now and since I haven't felt much like blogging lately, I thought that I would implement the idea as a way to perhaps motivate myself a little bit.  I wanted to start doing a Monday Memories post because I have realized that my memories are dimming as I am getting older and I want to get a few of them down in writing before they are gone forever.  There will be no rhyme or reason to my memories, just whatever pops into my head.

Today It is cold and cloudy and I am thinking about my house.  I have just spent a week cleaning out my somewhat smelly basement (although it is probably only smelly to me) and getting rid of bags and bags of clothes and junk as I strive to do my part to get my house into a sellable condition.  Winter always brings back memories of this house.  Sadly they are not good ones, but luckily those bad feelings have dimmed a bit with time.  This is why I so dislike my house in the winter:

The year is 2002.  It is summer, I am deathly sick and pregnant with my sweet Woo, and Doug decides that it is time for us to buy a house.  That is fine, but I make it clear that there is no way that I am going to drive around and look at houses because I really just want to curl into a ball and die because I am so sick.  So, Doug finds this house, although I really don't care because I am sick, but I show up to sign the papers.  Next thing I know it is November, the morning sickness has subsided a little bit, but now I am having other problems with my pregnancy.  Anyway, the day to move comes, Sparky is totally sick, I am still not completely packed because Sparky has been sick for about a week, and since it is the day of the OSU vs Michigan game we are basically stuck moving ourselves because no one is available to help us move due to the game and we are in no position to pay a mover.  Admittedly this move date was poorly planned on our part, but sometimes there is nothing you can do about that.  Regardless, the move is a total nightmare.  I am not able to do a whole lot because now I am on partial bed rest, Sparky is still sick, Doug is working tons of hours at work while also traveling, my house is covered in boxes and it has a funky smell to it due to all of the animals that previously lived in the house.  It is a dark time for me that seems to last forever and many tears are shed.  Thankfully Spring eventually comes and my outlook on life improves. 

Now, here we are 9 years later and I can honestly say that I don't hate my house anymore (although I desperately want to move out of it).  But I must admit that although not nearly as strong as they once were, every winter as the days are long and dark and cold, those memories and feelings from that first winter creep up and take hold of me for a little bit.  Perhaps that is when my issues with winter began.  Who knows?  That is therapy for another day.

Next Monday:  Something much more uplifting.

1 comment:

Trish said...

Beth, letting your husband pick out your house regardless of how sick you were is an amazing thing. I think he did a great job. The winter is rough. Hard to keep up the smiles. Let me know if you need a pal to make it sunny!