Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Blahs and birthdays

I have been hit with a case of the blahs this summer. I don't know why. Perhaps it has a little something to do with the fact that the Lord is once again giving me a lesson in patience and things are not happening when and how I want them to. Apparently I never learn and so I have a feeling I will be taught this lesson over and over again throughout my life. Sigh. Plus, I think the kids are driving me a little bit crazy. Anyway, since our little adventure out West, life has been pretty boring around here and so I had to reach back to June to find some pictures to post. Shockingly, I forgot to write about my little Tiger's birthday. My baby has turned 6 and I am lamenting the loss of his babyhood. He is officially a big kid now, with big kid hopes and dreams. Here he is dreaming about this chocolate cake that I made him for his birthday and hoping that he gets to eat it soon! Chocolate is his very most favorite thing on earth you see.
Since Tiger was turning the ripe old age of 6 this year, I thought that it was finally time for him to have an official birthday party. He has never really grasped the concept of a birthday party or cared for that matter, but it finally clicked this year and he was all about a party. Of course I was not going to disappoint my little man. We went to the party store and he decided on a pirate theme, Pirates of the Caribbean specifically. The boy just loves that Captain Jack. We invited all of the little friends that he wanted and headed to Grandma's backyard for the festivities.
Presents? Why yes please, I don't mind if I do.
Spiderman! Score!!
The kids basically just played on the giant inflatable water slide the whole time, but I did plan one game for them to play. We had a treasure hunt, because all pirates care about is finding their treasure. It was totally adorable to watch the kids race around the yard finding the clues that led them to the treasure. It also got a little heated at times as the competition to find the clues increased, but since no weapons were involved, everyone was able to make it to the end.
Here are some of the kids checking out their booty.
At one point Doug organized a competition to see who could climb up to the top the fastest. I don't remember who won, but it almost killed the kids to have to wait their turn. I tell you, this water slide is one of the best purchases my mom has made. The kids all love it, even though it is a pain to set up and put away.
Of course Captain Jack made an appearance to the party because it wouldn't be a pirate party without him. Yes, good times were had by all and the kids all declared the party a success. Good thing for me because those 6-year-olds can be pretty picky.

3 comments:

Dehner Family said...

I love that picture of Tiger with his cake. You captured it perfectly! What a fun party too!

shawn dehner said...

Well done, my daughter!!!

Sharlynn said...

Looks like a lot of fun! Way to go!