Friday, November 18, 2011

One thing I love about this girl

Really, there are so very many things that I love about this girl.  I could just go on and on, but lucky for all of you my head hurts far too bad to sit here and type all of them out.  I recently had my parent/teacher conference with this girl's teacher.  Aside from her notorious disaster of a desk (so bad in fact that her teacher will occasionally email pictures of her desk to me), the report was positively glowing.  You know the whole, she's a total delight and a wonderful student blah, blah, blah.  What really made me proud was the fact that this sweet girl has taken it upon herself to become a special helper and friend to a girl in her class who has Down Syndrome.  I have heard KK talk about this girl on several occasions, but I didn't realize the depth to which their friendship ran.  I believe that KK truly loves this girl and as a result of that she is able to reach her on more of  peer level that her teacher and assistants are unable to reach her.  In fact, KK can get this girl to do many things that her teacher and assistants are unable to get her to do and KK has done this all out of friendship.  My girl has no prejudices and has the ability to see the good in everyone.  She also lacks a lot of the drama that seems to come with girls.  You know, the whole backbiting, mean spirited kind of friends with you one day, but hate you the next day kind of stuff.  She is perfectly content to be herself and also to be by herself.  Her happiness is not tied into who she is or isn't friends with.  It is these qualities that make her a great friend and a great person and it will serve her well as she grows up.  Sheesh, I just love this girl.

4 comments:

Kasey said...

You do have a great girlie!

shawn dehner said...

Sheesh, I do too!

Buffy said...

THAT IS SO AWESOME! And believe me I know! I worked in the special ed department of an elementary school before our kids were born, and it broke my heart when kids were mean to them. They were so sweet and loved everyone, but other kids weren't always the same with them.
What a good girl you have. That means way more than what her desk looks like! ;)

Anonymous said...

That is a great summary. She is a sweetie.