Friday, February 8, 2013

We've got some sweet moves

Last night the kids' school had a fundraiser skating party, so after a lot of debate (on my part) we dusted off the roller blades and headed out for a little school night fun. I was really kind of dreading the evening because I knew that Tiger would need a lot of help and that it would be loud and crowded, but lucky for me my Love knew that it would be a great time and so he made sure that he could come along and help out.
Here's Tiger as he gets his skates on. The excitement was still fresh.
Doug headed out first with Tiger. Doug is a fantastic skater and so he was the perfect person to take Tiger out on his maiden skating voyage. It was very slow going. There was some falling, a lot of frustration, and a few tears.
Then Tiger discovered that skating on carpet was much easier than skating on a hard surface. Woo was a very sweet sister and indulged her little brother for a bit. She has never been a very strong skater either, but over the course of the night she really improved.
The skating rink had these awesome skating helpers. They are genius. As soon as Tiger started using one he was finally able to move himself forward and his confidence soared. The helper was great because it made Tiger lean forward and actually skate in a much more natural way.
Here's my Woo showing off her skating skills.
Sparky has some pretty sweet skating skills as well. I loved watching him go around and around the rink. Sometimes he was surrounded by friends, sometimes he was just on his own and singing along to the music. It totally took me back to the skating parties of my youth when my mom would just drop us off at the skating rink and we would spend hours skating our hearts out. I love that I can still picture the rink and my own sweet moves, because in my head I was totally awesome.
By the time we were done, our heads were pounding from the noise, and our feet hurt from the skates, but we had a great time and I am so glad that my Love coerced me into going.

No comments: