Wednesday, June 29, 2011

An appalling discovery

I can no longer write.  I don't mean that I can no longer express myself in a creative manner with words, I mean that I can no longer physically write.  With my hand.  And a pen (or pencil).  While we were up at our reunion (which by the way I am not done posting about) we wrote letters to all of the family members who were on missions.  My handwriting was so sloppy and my hand was cramping up after a couple of sentences.  Then, last night I was at a meeting where I was taking notes and I could not for the life of me coherently end any of my words.  My S's looked like sad wiggly L's and I kept writing my Y's backwards.  That is just plain sad and unacceptable.  What has happened to me?  I'll tell you what has happened to me.  I don't write anymore.  All of my "writing" time is spent on a computer and not on a piece of paper.  Who knew that after years in school where hours upon hours were spent taking notes and writing this is what would come of it all, a sad and weak little writing hand.  Also, I am horrible at keeping a journal, which is one place where I should be writing on a regular basis, and all of my thoughts that I do record are shared on this blog.  So, what am I going to do about this?  Well, I obviously need to start exercising my atrophied writing hand which means that it must be time to break out that dusty journal because I don't think my grocery list is going to be exercise enough, unless I feel like writing "milk, cheese, and tortillas" down over and over again.  So, wish me luck because this may prove to be painful. 

2 comments:

Kurt & Shawn said...

That is one sad scenario!!

Carolyn said...

I have discovered a similar sad thing about myself. I wrote pages and pages in multiple journals in my youth, and had pretty good handwriting. And I knew how to spell. And now, along with losing my ability to write for long periods of time, I have forgotten how to spell the most simple words, because now my spell check will fix it for me. And I must admit that my handwriting has become worse as my spelling has become worse--with such poor handwriting, who can tell if those words are misspelled? (And yes, I'm aware that Mrs. Schroeder is going to read this and will not approve....And I admit that I looked up "Schroeder" to make sure I would spell it correctly.)