Friday, November 2, 2012

To be grateful

We are finally done with October and November has blown in like a breath of fresh air. I haven't been feeling super positive, friendly, or grateful lately and so I thought that I would join the throngs of people out there who are taking the opportunity to identify something that they are thankful for each day during the month of November. I am hoping that this helps my general sense of well being because I know there are a million things I could list, it's just easy to forget what they are.  So, here we go:

November 1.  After about a week of no sun and very cold and wet weather due to Hurricane Sandy, the sun shone brightly and warmed my soul. The sun is very good for me and I enjoy it immensely.

November 2.  Today as my little Tiger got off of the bus, I watched from afar as he willingly went up to his friend's dog and proceeded to allow this little dog to jump up on his chest several times while Tiger laughed and giggled. He also willingly petted this dog and continued to engage with the dog as he walked down the street towards our house. This may not seem like a big deal to a lot of you, but this is absolutely huge for my boy. He has been absolutely and completely terrified of dogs for the last few years and we have been working really hard to help him overcome this fear. It has been a tough road. You don't realize how many dogs are out there in the world until you are faced with a situation like this. So, today's reaction was especially joyful and unexpected to me because just yesterday he was completely freaking out as he tried and was unable to open the front door to our house after he got off of the bus because this same dog was starting to walk down the street and Tiger was terrified that the dog would get him. Whatever the cause of today's turnaround, I'll take it and be grateful that although tomorrow will probably be different, for today he was able to feel safe and happy.

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

Amazing how writing what you are grateful for can help you see even more things you are grateful for.

What a beautiful thing to be grateful for -- watching your little boy overcome his fears.