Thursday, December 24, 2009

Parenting Realizations - The Christmas Edition

As I flit about the kitchen baking goodies and whatnot and listening to my kids practically burst out of their skins with excitement, I am taken back to my own childhood Christmas memories. I have been trying to pinpoint what exactly made those memories so great and I have determined that it is because my parents made them great. It's not the presents that I received (or sometimes didn't receive), it was all of the work that my parents put into the entire season doing what they could to make it special and magical. It is the feeling of Christmas that I most remember (and cookies, yummy, yummy cookies). This brings me to my parenting realization. Actually this is not a new realization, it is just one that sometimes hits me suddenly and when I least expect it. What I realized is that I am creating these same memories for my kids. I am now the parent (which in and of itself still almost knocks me off my feet) and it is my responsibility to bring the same warm and happy magical feelings to my own kids that my parents brought to me. Oh the pressure. But it's a good pressure. I just hope that one day they can look back upon these days as fondly and nostalgically that I still do on my childhood days.

Merry Christmas!!

3 comments:

Trish said...

Amen! Whew! I hope to be able to do the same. I am trying to not yell as much.

Kurt & Shawn said...

You make my heart swell! Your dad and I are blessed to be your parents. Merry Christmas and thanks for doing such a great job with your children.

Anonymous said...

Trust me, they will. You are a great mother. I love you sooooooo much.

Your Dad