Friday, February 11, 2011

What's in a name?

I have been thinking about this for awhile now and I am wondering if it is too late to start using a different name?  I am tired of introducing myself to people and having them think that my name is Betsy Moore.  Seriously.  Who knows how many people out in this world really think that my name is Betsy.  Maybe I should just start going by Betsy from now on.  No?  Well, there are so many possible name choices that can come out of the name Elizabeth and any of them would work better than Beth.  Hmmm, from now on perhaps I will be Bethany, or Liz, or Eliza, or Ellie?   Or I could scrap Elizabeth altogether and choose, um, perhaps Penelope?  See, so many choices.

6 comments:

Dehner Family said...

You know you could always make your mother happy and go with Cynthia Louise :)

Kurt & Shawn said...

Amen!!!!

Anonymous said...

Have you considered different or better diction?? Possibly "I'm Beth, and my last name is Seymour."

Kenna said...

We knew a man in Toledo named Brad Leone and people always thought he was 'Bradley Own'. So his wife said he would always introduce himself as Brad and then after a definite pause he would add Leone so there was no mistaking....similar problem to yours....But I do like penelope!

Buffy said...

You crack me up...and i have the same problem, especially on the phone, everyone thinks i'm saying betsy.
So beffy and buthy are now betsy and betsy!

Valerie said...

Because my son's first name ends in "s", and our last name is Gibby, people kept thinking his last name was "Skippy"! I learned early that we have to pause. I've totally done name changes (from Val to Valerie or vise versa) and it was weird.