Monday, September 13, 2010

OK, point taken.

Apparently my body has been trying to tell me for quite some time that I am not 21 anymore.  Sadly it has taken quite a bit for me to sit up and take notice, but notice, I have taken.  It turns out that I can not eat whatever I feel like eating anymore and it turns out that apparently I need to learn to embrace exercise.  Not only exercise for my ever expanding personage, but for my mental health as well.  This is a whole new realm for me, but after spending the last couple of months with constant headaches that have oh so nicely turned into migraines (yay stress, lack of sleep, poor eating, and genetics), something needs to be done and apparently one of the big keys to all of this is exercise.  So the next question is, what kind of exercise shall I embrace?  I seriously despise running, but it is so convenient.  I wish that I could be more like my cute sister-in-law and brother who have fully embraced and learned to love running.  I am very inspired by them.  They have found something they love to do and even better, they are able to do it together.  But alas, I just don't think that running is for me.  So, what shall I do?  I really like yoga, but I don't think that alone is enough.  I like to lift weights and will incorporate that as well, but there isn't a lot of cardio involved in weight training.  Spinning is great, but my shins and knees won't allow me to do all of the up and down business that the instructors seem to love.  Perhaps the elliptical?  I don't know, but I intend to find out.  Now that my sleep experiment is officially over, my next goal is to find some form of cardio exercise that works for me and that I feel like I can stick with.  That is my biggest problem, I am horrible at sticking with things. Really, really horrible.   But I am determined.  I shall succeed.  But not tonight.  Tonight I am exhausted and will now pay a visit to my happy dream land.  That is, as long as Mr. Insomnia decides to take the night off.  Ta-ta.

6 comments:

Kurt & Shawn said...

I love you!!!!

Dehner Family said...

Could you possibly be a Zumba girl? I think it looks fun, but I am much to uncoordinated to even try. Possibly a Body Combat or Body Attack type class? Swimming? I would love to be a swimmer, but it's not in me. I just feel like I'm drowning and look like a fool as I thrash around in the water. Oh how I wish we lived closer and could go to classes together while the kids are in school. It's fun to have a partner and much easier. Would you consider moving by me so we can be workout buddies?

I am sorry about your headaches. I hope you get them figured out soon so you can sleep and feel good. I love that you can take your troubles and write them down in a way that is so entertaining. Good luck with your quest. Let me know if you change your mind about running. I'd love to go with you sometime. I won't hold my breathe though :)

rachel said...

Yeah, that same somebody keeps telling me the same thing. I am trying walking with a friend (we have done two whole days). I like biking, but not when it is cold. Good luck. Exercise hasn't been my friend much. I try, but it is hard.

Kenna said...

I did a zumba class last week for the first time. I felt silly because everyone else clearly knew what was going on and I was a bit lost. But if you like to dance, I think it is a great option. Our gym has a spinning intervals class that I love. You do 8-10 min on the bike and then toning then back on the bike, etc. That is a fun one, too.

For me with exercise, I have to find something that I can tolerate long enough to see results. I am very motivated by results.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

Trish said...

Personal Trainer Beth. It's the only way to see results real quick and motivate you to stay with it. I can get you Abdur's number if you are interested. I am thinking of starting up with him. He takes you at whatever shape you are in.

Anonymous said...

I learned a very important trick through this "Live the Life" program that I am on...
ALWAYS do weights / resistance FIRST.
When we lift weight it makes our muscles burn calories for a long time (like up to a couple of days). So then do your cardio afterward and you will get a sort of "double burn".
I have definitely notices that what I do, shows more results than before!
Good Luck!